CASA volunteers are everyday people – teachers, business people, retirees, stay-at-home moms, and grandparents – who are committed to making a difference for children who might otherwise slip through the cracks in an overburdened foster care system. They are appointed by judges to guide one child or one set of siblings through the system to safe, permanent homes as quickly as possible. CASA volunteers research case records and speak to each person involved in a child’s life, including family members, teachers, doctors, lawyers and social workers. They monitor the progress of the child and family throughout the case and advocate for the child’s current and future needs in court, in school and in agency meetings. Their independent evaluations allow the court to make better informed decisions.
Because CASAs serve only one case at a time, they truly get to know the child and can give each case the sustained, personal attention it deserves. We invite you to join our family of volunteers and make a difference in a child’s life – and your own.
A CASA volunteer must:
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Have a concern for children and a genuine desire to help.
- Have access to a computer and Microsoft Word.
- Have sound oral and written communication skills.
- Have good human relations skills, willingness to be objective and sensitive to cultural/ethnic differences.
- Successfully complete initial training provided by CASA for the Cross Timbers Area. (30 hours of initial training plus three (3) hours of courtroom observation)
- Successfully pass screening and background check requirements.
- Be able to make a 12-month commitment to a case. An average of 10-20 hours per month.
- Be able to keep information confidential and work within established program guidelines.
- Recognize the privilege that being a CASA volunteer is for a child.
NOTE: You cannot be a current foster parent or be in the process of adopting a child from Child Protective Services.
Ready to volunteer?
- Click on the APPLY NOW button and fill out your online application.
2. Once your application is received our CASA Program Director will contact you to schedule an interview.
NOTE: Your application is not complete until your application, additional forms and fingerprints have been received. You can return the additional forms via mail to PO Box 1181 Stephenville, TX 76401, email forms to email@example.com, or by fax 254-965-8541.